The green certification for remodelers is the first in the nation and has a goal of encouraging home owners to choose more efficient, environmentally safe, and healthy ways to build their homes. The Green building standards take into account local building codes, energy codes, and seasonal concerns. They are still being developed and tweaked, and according the company will be finalized this month.
According to MN Green Star they are trying to ensure that homes under their certification are:
- Healthier and more comfortable
- More sensitive to the community and the environment
- More efficient with use of energy, water, materials, and land
- Less costly to operate
- More Valuable in the Marketplace
Certification could also lead to other benefits, including:
- Mortgage and home equity rate discounts
- Rebates on building materials and products
- Tax credits
- Preferred utility rates
- Preferred homeowner and health insurance rates
Wouldn't you just love to get some of those savings and benefits?
Visit their website to learn more about green certification in Minnesota and think about making your next project as MN green as you can!